Sunday 12 July 2015

Why I Love Solo Travel







Ok, first I have to admit that I was quite intimidated looking at flight website on the laptop in front of me. Am I really going to do this trip alone? Random scenarios were playing in my head, from convincing that it was the right thing to do to some percentage that told me "are you crazy?" and all the other "what ifs." I then kept telling myself that this is what I wanted to do and I should just bite the bullet, built up a courage and booked my flight anyway. The more I overthink, the more I questioned myself. So I just booked it! The route was Auckland-Kuala Lumpur-Phnom Penh-Hanoi-Jakarta-Auckland. I had three weeks on my own before meeting my family in Indonesia for family holiday in the beautiful island of Lombok. 



Royal Palace in Phnom Penh


Right after I booked it, there was no turning back, I thought. And to be honest, I felt a huge relief mix with some kind of nervous feeling. I was relief that against all odds, I made a pact to myself that this is my opportunity to embark on this journey and it's what I have been dreaming of. Feeling nervous as I didn't know what was going to happen, will I enjoy these foreign countries on my own, who's going to back me up if something goes wrong or even lost in translation was unavoidable factor and more importantly will I get bored and lonely? 


Ha Long Bay


The day of my solo travel came, I made my way to the Airport. This is it, you made it this far, I told to myself. Trying to ignore all these mix feelings inside me. Arriving in Kuala Lumpur Airport, I took a bus to my hostel. Asking people around me as I tried to get my bearing. Finally found my hostel. To my surprise, I met some people there who were doing it solo also. I stayed in dorm, so it was easy to meet people and relatively cheaper option. We all started to talk and I found comfort in them. Listening to their reasons and somehow I could resonate my story to them that they took the plunge despite all the silly reasons and fears. On New Year's Eve, we all ended up going on a pub crawl and watched fireworks between the skyscrapers. 
 



Sunrise at Angkor Wat

Tuk-tuk stand in Siem Reap

 
Then I flew to Phnom Penh in Cambodia after few days in KL. I met a Cambodian on the plane who didn't have a clue how to fill his arrival card. So I helped him filling the form out. With very broken English, he said that he been living in Malaysia for long time and haven't been visiting home for a while. His family live about 2 hours bus ride from capital of Phnom Penh. When we arrived at our destination and made our way out of the airport, he called his friend who was Tuk-tuk driver to pick him up. He then asked me if he can drop me off at my hostel. It was very nice gesture of him and so we hopped on a tuk-tuk exploring the busy and chaotic road of this city. We bid goodbye at my hostel and I told him if only I had longer time in Phnom Penh, I would have visited his village. I thanked and wished him a safe journey ahead. 

 
Ha Long Bay
 

Serenity of Ha Long Bay


This was just the beginning of my solo trip and yet it has been a positive experience so far. I told to myself, there was nothing to be worried about or afraid of. There are genuinely good people out there that would help and ask nothing in return. 

 

Hanoi

Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City


At the hostel I stayed in Phnom Penh, I told this girl in my dorm who was also solo traveler that my next destination was Siem Reap, and to my surprise, we happened to go on the same day! She then asked if I would be interested to stay in the hotel she has booked and paid for as her friend couldn't make it to meet her there in the end. Another kindness from a stranger. Together, we hired Tuk-tuk for whole day, from watching sunrise at the infamous Angkor Wat to visiting the rest of the temples around the complex until dusk. 


Hanoi


When I was back on my own, I enjoyed the time with myself sipping on a Vietnamese Iced Coffee at a little cafe in Hanoi while watching all the hustle bustle of street vendors, the noise of hundred motorbikes and people speaking foreign languages around me. I  didn't feel bored or lonely as what I've anticipated before. Even when I was in a quiet and serene spot of Ha Long Bay, when the night fell and everyone was asleep in our boat, I found inner peace with myself. Learning to live in the moment, to appreciate what's in front me and be grateful with all the opportunities that led me to that precious moment. I learn to admire all the  beautiful nature surround me instead of wishing if I could have shared it with someone. Even if there was someone I could share that with, it was just bonus. This experience was a personal journey and exactly what I wished for. Therefore in the end I was more than happy to do this alone. 


About to crawl inside Cu Chi underground tunnel, Ho Chi Minh City
   

Because of Solo Travel, I can stop and smell the roses, I have more time to talk to people more than when I traveled with companion, listened to their stories and made friends despite the language barrier. You just don't know who you will encounter every day and what's going to happen that day. I guess that's the beauty of it and this is why I love it! Of course it's not always a walk in the park, however, perspective is the key to change the way you look at certain things. 
 


With Avena at Angkor Wat


Angkor Wat Temples

After this trip, I became more confident that Solo Travel is my preferred method of travel. I grew to accept myself and enjoy my own company. To do whatever I want and go where ever my feet take me. It made me realized that when I was out of my comfort zone and familiarity, I have no one to depend on but myself, I could contemplate and think about what has been happening in my life and what I will do better moving forward.


"Making a big life change is pretty scary. But you know what's even scarier? Regret." - Zig Ziglar -

 
Siem Reap



Night Market in Hanoi

With Sibel at Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City
 

No comments:

Post a Comment