Sunday 26 July 2015

My Time In The Kingdom of Tonga






Malo Lelei!
 
Kingdom of Tonga is located in the South Pacific Ocean, northeast of New Zealand. Although New Zealand is located pretty much at the end of the earth and near to the South Pole of Antarctica, this country is truly blessed with its close proximity to the islands when in need of tropical getaway. In this case to Tonga, it only takes around 2.5 hours by plane from Auckland. Initially, Tonga is known as “Friendly Islands” because when Captain Cook first visited in 1773, it was right in the middle of festivals and he received an invitation to all the events and festivities.  

 
 


 
 
 
I was there for Easter break around April this year and stayed for 6 days. I based myself in Nuku’alofa which is the capital located on the north coast of the main Island Tongatapu. Tongatapu itself is located in the southernmost island group of Tonga (Eua, Ha’apai, Niuas, Tongatapu and Vava’u). I had great time there though I think that Tonga probably the least developed country amongst the majority of other tourist destinations around South Pacific like Fiji, Cook Islands and New Caledonia. Not sure about Samoa or Vanuatu, I have yet to visit them. However, in a way I think it’s good as you get the feeling of experiencing true South Pacific. What you see is what you get kind of feeling. Embracing the rawness. It was obvious that there’s so much potential and development that could be done, but it seems they are pretty much happy and leave them as it is rather than making it too convenient for the tourists. This is just my two cents and I’m just delivering from what I have observed. I’m sure if you been there, you have your own version to tell. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed my trip! I think it's interesting that Tonga has its own unique character.

 
  

Love this Tonga Pa'anga $1 note with Whales theme


This is part of their everyday's dress. Embracing their own culture and they look stunning!

 
The island kept me active every single day, I was out and about exploring it by foot, car and a local rickety bus, on my own as well as with company of others. I did day tour around the island visiting some of interesting landmarks like place where Captain Cook landed for first time, stopping somewhere along the gravel road to see the unusual coconut tree that has 3 branches, went to famous Mapu’a ‘a Vaea Blowholes which was quite fascinating to see the forces of nature like this happened in front of me. Then we continued on to Ha’amonga’a Maui Trilithon known as “Mini Stonehenge”. On other occasion, I went with other travelers I met in my guesthouse to experience local dinner with fire dance show. You find this type of dance quite common around South Pacific countries. The moon was so bright that night, as we enjoyed our meal at the restaurant on the beachfront,  we could see the moonlight shining through the ocean in front of us and occasionaly listened to the sound of waves while chatting with others. Magical!  After dinner, we made our way to the cave which located not far from the restaurant. We were entertained by local men and women drenched in baby oil, doing fire dance and singing local songs with instruments of skin drum and Ukulele . There was also unique show when a guy played the Ukulele with his teeth. Such an impressive talent and wicked entertainment to end a great night!
 
 


Otaika, fresh raw fish in coconut milk. Common food around South Pacific countries

 
This activity was probably my favorite thing to do from the whole time I was in the Kingdom. To swim in the swimming hole located in the underground cave for the first time! The place is called Anahulu Cave and it’s located in central of Nuku’alofa. It was such a thrill to go inside the cave, the path was lighted by fluorescent and as I went inside, I could see the beautiful stalactite all around. Then at the bottom of the cave, we were presented with swimming hole. The water was bit cold but so fresh. We all jumped in and as we swam, we admired the stunning limestone above and beneath us.
 



Stalactite in Anahulu Cave



Fresh water swimming hole in Anahulu Cave

I found cemeteries in Tonga quite peculiar and interesting. I couldn’t help to go for a walk one morning to the one just down the road from my guesthouse just to look closely and at my own pace. There was this lovely color coded graveyard while the other can be quite full on and overly decorated complete with many chinaware around it. I also saw few graveyards that got this massive poster size photo of the deceased posing on top of his graveyard. I guess this is their tradition to pay respect and remembering their loved ones who already gone. That’s one of the quirky things I love to discover when traveling. Something that I never come across before.


Beautiful color coded cemetery



 

On Sunday, I did a day trip to Pangaimotu island which was only 10 minutes ride on a small boat from Faua Wharf as all the commercial trading were closed at the main island. They only allowed very few bakery and small eatery place to open. Sunday in Tonga and some other places in the South Pacific countries is a day that is dedicated to Church. Even the airport is shut down. Everywhere you can see Tongans and their bibles on hand making their way to the Church. During mass, I could hear their singing when I went for a walk that morning. It was angelic. In the afternoon, locals normally flock to Pangaimotu for some cooling off time with jumping off the shipwreck was one of the favorites!


 





In general, I think Tonga is a relatively cheap destination to visit in comparison to its neighboring countries. I stayed in a Dorm at Noa Guesthouse, which was only 5 minute walk to the town centre. Noa Guesthouse is a character itself, from Mote and Nana who run the business along with other staff to people that I met during my short stay there. I came as a guest but left as a friend. People that you cross path when you traveled can truly make significant remembrance and leave footprints as they were part of your journey. They made it even more special. I miss all of you and I really enjoyed the time we spent in the balcony at nights over local raspberry vodka with singing entertainment from Timani, my brother from another mother lol!


Soft Coral and beach at Pangaimotu Island
 

Shipwreck at Pangaimotu Island
 


Tonga is not a kind of place where you can lounge on the pool and have bartender mixing your cocktail in a pool bar. Well at least not for now. I think from where I’m sitting; its simplicity, rawness, peculiar things I encountered, countless interaction with locals and other curious like-minded travelers that really made this trip to be a one of a kind.

Malo a Pito!


*scroll down for Statistics

Snorkeling in Ha'atafu


Snorkeling in Pangaimotu island

Snorkeling in Pangaimotu island



Mini Stonehenge
 
Fire Dance at Hina Cave


Dancers at Hina Cave show


Statistics:

Flight : Return fare Auckland - Nuku'alofa - Auckland by Air New Zealand cost $330NZD (Seat & Carry On ONLY Fare). Flying time around 2.5 hours one way

Currency : Local currency is Tonga Pa'anga or TOP. $1TOP = $0.71NZD(rate of 28/7/15)

Accommodation : Noa Guesthouse-1x Bed in Dormitory @$30TOP/night ($21NZD) www.noaenterprises.com

Visa : $69NZD(Single Entry) - I applied 2 weeks prior departure(as advised by Tongan Embassy in Auckland). The process took about 1 week until I received the visa. You can check here if you require Tourist Visa in advance or not : http://www.tongaairports.com/passenger-information/ Please also check your local Tongan Embassy representative for more details.

Out and about in Tongatapu : There are public bus operating around the island however only until 5pm. Please note there are NO bus operating on Sunday. One way Fare is reasonable around $1.50-$2TOP($1.40NZD) depending on the distance.
Ferry : Return fare on a small boat from Faua Wharf near Nuku'alofa town centre to Pangaimotu Island $20TOP($14NZD) and it takes around 10 minutes.

Day trip tour : There are few day tour operator for example : Toni's Guesthouse (tonigh2@yahoo.co.uk), you don't need to stay in their guesthouse in order to use their service. Taxi drivers can also offers day trips, however ask around for more competitive price.

Taxi: Taxis in Tonga don't run by meter and are unmarked however it's identified by letter T at the beginning of the number plate. One way from International Aiport to downtown of Nuku'alofa is a fixed rate of $40TOP($28NZD) 



 

2 comments:

  1. Tonga is such a great tourist destination place. I bet I will also tour this place after my current visit to Vietnam. I still don't know where to get the visa to Tonga but I got my visa to Vietnam online. The online visa agents guided me quite well and I appreciate the website service and I got the vietnam visa within 48 working hours when I had already travel by air and landed in vietnam. I hope the same case will be with Tonga.


    http://www.visa-vietnam.org
    http://www.vietnamvisa.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pathfinder, Tonga was indeed interesting place to visit, especially in Eua! Many good hikes, interesting caves and also...Whales! Have a look at Wikitravel website and look up Tonga - Visa section. They are quite small country and not many embassy around the world. Btw which nationality are you? As most of nationalities don't require visa in advance, it was just the case for me as I hold an Indonesian passport.

      Delete