Thursday 16 July 2015

I Am Frugal So I Can Travel







In this consumer-driven world we live in, it’s easy for us to be influenced and tempted by social media, TV, billboards etc to always keeping up with the trends. It could be clothing, latest iphone, cars or even area where you live can sometimes determine your social status. Before I moved to New Zealand, I was living in Dubai for four years and the lifestyle there has somehow made me more consumptive. I personally think that lack of nature and surrounded with concrete jungle had lured me to this circle with leisure time over the weekends were mostly spent in the shopping malls or clubs.



 Lake Rotoroa, Nelson National Park, New Zealand

I was buying unnecessary stuff and they ended up in piles. Kept on spending my hard earn income just to keep up with the Joneses. It was not very wise lifestyle and a big waste of money and space. After a while I realized, there was nothing that I need that I don’t already have. I started to cut a lot of my spending and slowly growing my saving back.  This changed habit also carried on since living in New Zealand, now, it’s just a normal thing for me to live frugally. Being surrounded by beautiful nature has helped me to do this a lot easier and on my leisure time, I love to spend it in the outdoors and most of them are free. There are many bush walks, waterfalls, lakes, snow-capped mountain in a reasonable drive away. My consumptive behavior has dropped down drastically. I appreciated more on what I already have rather than wishing for what I could have had.
 


Paradise Beach, Mykonos, Greece


Living frugally or minimalism does not mean you only eat cheese and crackers or rice and egg every night. It means spending your money where you want to without spending more than you have and more than you need to. For example, I haven’t been shopping for a while now because I think that my clothes are still decent. The same goes with my other things. I’m content when driving my $3K 1998 Toyota as it’s still function well and have no desire to upgrade to more flash car. I just don’t think keeping up with trends or Joneses or whatever they call it are important things anymore. More importantly, I refuse to be a slave of consumerism and let the stuff own me.



Chateau De Villandry, France


I have been living on a budget for a while now and quite strict with what I spend.  I brought my lunch to work. No flat whites from café downstairs of the building I work at. I won’t pay $14 cocktail because I know that $14 is equivalent of 3 or 4 meals in Tonga or two nights’ accommodation in Asia. I’m doing all this because I know I will reap the rewards in the end and therefore it was worth every sacrifice I made. This is the reason why it’s possible for me to travel and see the world. I often ask myself what do you work five days a week for? I don't want a mortgage that’s for sure. I found my answer when flying over Whales in Kaikoura or snorkelling with George the famous giant Trevally fish in turquoise lagoon of Aitutaki in Cook Islands. You should not feel bad if you do not share the same wants as everyone else. Everyone has their own reason why they work hard for in their life and we don’t need justification for this. I am also not envy with people who were born with silver spoon living on much more privilege life. I believe there’s good reason why we are here at this point of our lives and all we have to do is to figure out how to make our life worth living and make the most of it.




Athens, Greece
 
Travel is not only for the rich, if you make it as priority in your life then there are always ways to achieve it. I would rather spend my money on a cheap return flight to Fiji than buying a pair of branded shoes or purse. It all comes down to what matters to you the most. You may have read some blogs or even following some travel bloggers out there who been living on the road for years with no trust fund or rich parents to support them financially. Why is this possible? Because they have the most important factors: courage, sacrifice and perseverance. I honestly admire their spirit and dedication to chase their travel dreams therefore I created a lifestyle of my own that sustain my passion for travels while managing working full time at the same time.
  
 
Sea Lions Colony, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Since I implemented minimalism, not only I am able to  create more space in my room, but also in my mind. Reducing consumerism habit really simplifies my life to live with less stress and therefore it makes easier to focus on my life goals, to do what I most love and passionate about.


"I'd rather have a passport full of stamps than a house full of stuff." -Anonymous-


Malimbu Hill , Lombok, Indonesia
 
 
Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment