Wednesday 25 November 2015

Wrapping up 2015!




 
We’re almost getting to that time again, the new year is approaching upon us and soon we’ll be saying ‘Au revoir’ to 2015. Feeling truly grateful for this year, for all the blessings, health, places I’ve left my footsteps behind, ’once in a lifetime’ experiences that I wouldn’t trade it for the world and destinations that swept me off my feet. These highlights gave me butterflies as well as affirmation for the choices I made in life. To live in the present. To live for these moments.
 
I couldn't be happier with how “Minimalism” way of living has helped me to open my eyes to see what’s important in life and what matters the most. It all make sense now. Because for this very reason, it’s possible for me to go to these dreamy places. Determination and some sacrifice here and there worth the rewards in the end. By not accumulating more possessions, I realized that I already have more than I need and really appreciate them instead.  More space equals clearer mind so I heard. This way, I can focus more on doing what I love the most.
 
 
First travel this year was a summer weekend away at a coastal place in the North Island of New Zealand called Mount Maunganui. It was early morning departure, weather was bit chilly and we were cruising away on the lookout for Common Dolphins who are known to be the local residents here. Then 1, 2, 3….. a pod started to appear from a distance, they  came closer to the boat and racing alongside us! Mothers and calves. Captain slowed the boat down and whoever wanted to snorkel with them can jump into the water. It was adorable to hear their squeaky noise. We had to make funny noises in our snorkelling gear too to entertain them. I guess it takes two to tango after all!
 
Then came Easter. I whisked myself away to the South Pacific country called Kingdom of Tonga. From soaking in fresh water pool in Anahulu cave to going around the island on local rickety bus, Tonga was indeed a place I longed to return.
 
Long weekend trip to South Island before Autumn was next. My mission was to do some walks at the national park and check out tallest mountain in NZ. Unlucky with the weather, Mt Cook was shy to come out and play. Headed to Kaikoura, it was again unlucky to spot any Whales however thoroughly enjoyed flying experience above the mountain ranges and over Kaikoura ocean.  Followed by a short trek afterwards to Ohau Falls, watching pod of seal pups jumping in and out of the water. Such a cute performance!
 
I was on the plane back to South Island the following month for another attempt of Whale Watching. Why not since it was a free attempt! Second time lucky this time, it was awesome to fly over a Sperm Whale finally! Then a day visit to quirky Akaroa, admiring a French settlement town on the peninsula. A night spent in 'Jailhouse' afterwards, it's not as freaky as  it sounds, it was in fact a jail converted hostel. Still lived up to the experience I'd say!
 
Few months passed by,  came the big trip that I had been yearning for in over a year. South America! 6 weeks filled with adventures, cultures, trying new things that enticing, mesmerising and challenging.
 
Then a return trip to Tonga. Eua Island has definitely given me more than what I bargained for. Swimming with Humpback whales in their natural habitat, its friendly calf who were curious to us as we were to him! Hiked around national park, drinking water from a tree branch, devouring papaya, exploring numerous of caves to name a few.
 
Hiking trip to South Island, New Zealand on the weekend of November. Off-roading the road to Lake Coleridge, driving through Alpine forest, hiking the Port Hills track, submerging in the thermal pool of Hanmer Springs.
 
To close off this year, I'll be heading back across the ditch. Always been intrigued to see one of the whitest beach in the world, Whitehaven in Whitsunday Islands, Australia. They said it was so pure and clean, you can wash your jewellery in it! Not that I have fancy jewellery to wash ha!  Then bus up north to Townsville and short ferry ride to Magnetic Island to do some hikes and hopefully spot some Koalas, my favourite animal, living in the wild chewing on some eucalyptus leaves or perhaps having a snooze on tree branches. As what they do best!
 
That is all folks! my wrap up of 2015 adventure filled year. I’d say bring on the new year! To you who believe in dreams; keep traveling, keep dreaming, keep on keeping on....
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment